Answered By: Library Desk Last Updated: 09 Aug 2017 Views: 41
Practical Guidance is a search tool for essential online legal research. Organised by practice areas (Business, Employment, Family and Property law), the modules provide access to a collection of overviews, guidance notes, precedents, forms, cases, commentary and legislation across relevant topics.
To access Lexis Advance Practical Guidance:
- On the Library homepage, go to Subject Guides, then select Law.
- On the Key Databases tab, select Lexis Advance
Click on the the dropdown arrow next to Lexis Advance Pacific Research and choose the Practical Guidance tab.
From the Practice Areas tab, choose the relevant practice area from the four options in the list - Business, Corporations, Employment, Family or Social Justice.
Fom this page you can access topics and subtopics e.g.Topic: Children - Subtopic: Parentage
- Overview tab - provides a quick overview on the subtopic
- Guidance tab - guidance notes on the subtopic, including key cases and legislation
- Commentary tab - contains Commentary that discusses the subtopic. Content hyperlinked to LexisNexis AU documents
- Cases tab - key cases relevant to the subtopic. Content hyperlinked to LexisNexis law reports and unreported judgements.
- Legislation tab - full text access to consolidated legislation relevant to the subtopic.
- Forms tab - access to key forms relevant to the sub-topic.
- Precendents tab - key precedents relevant to the sub-topic.
- Other Resources tab - links to external websites and other relevant material.
To change resources, click on the tab for practice areas and choose an alternative resource.
- Choose Practical Guidance from the top bar
- Select the relevant practice area from the four options at the top of the screen - Business, Corporations, Employment, Family, Social Justice.
- You can use the search box on top bar to search All content, or narrow your search to a specific content type (e.g. Guidance, forms & precedents, cases, legislation, commentary, etc.).
- Enter search terms in to the search box and click on Search.
- Results will be listed under the All tab. Filter the results by selecting any one of the content type tabs.
- Once you have found content relevant to your search, you can print, email, download or alternatively, copy the URL.