Answered By: Alisha Nolan Last Updated: 30 May 2017 Views: 17
Practical Guidance is a search tool for essential online legal research. Organised by practice areas (Business, Employment, Family and Property law), the modules provide access to a collection of overviews, guidance notes, precedents, forms, cases, commentary and legislation across relevant topics.
To access LexisNexis Practical Guidance:
- On the Library homepage, go to Subject Guides, then select Law.
- On the Key Databases tab, select LexisNexis Practical Guidance
Select the relevant practice area from the four options at the top of the screen - Business, Employment, Family or Property.
On the left hand side of the home page, you will see module specific topics in black bold text.
The corresponding sub-topics are below and hyperlinked in blue text.
Select the relevant sub-topic - e.g. Family module > Child maintenance. This will link you to the overview on that particular subtopic.
- Subtopic content
- Overview tab - provides a quick overview on the subtopic
- Guidance tab - guidance notes on the subtopic, including key cases and legislation
- Commentary tab - contains Commentary that discusses the subtopic. Content hyperlinked to LexisNexis AU documents
- Cases tab - key cases relevant to the subtopic. Content hyperlinked to LexisNexis law reports and unreported judgements.
- Legislation tab - full text access to consolidated legislation relevant to the subtopic.
- Forms tab - access to key forms relevant to the sub-topic.
- Precendents tab - key precedents relevant to the sub-topic.
- Other Resources tab - links to external websites and other relevant material.
- Select the relevant practice area from the four options at the top of the screen - Business, Employment, Family or Property.
- You can use the search box on the right hand side of the screen to search All content, or a specific content type (e.g. cases, legislation, commentary, etc.).
- To search for a specific document type, select the content type from the options above the search box.
- Enter search terms in to the search box and click on Search.
- Results will be listed under the All tab. Filter the results by selecting any one of the content type tabs.
- Once you have found content relevant to your search, you can print, email, download or alternatively, copy the URL.